Sunday, April 8, 2012

From scholar to student.

When my last born son finished high school I was sooo happy for many reasons. 1st, no more having my house as aftercare for his friends, no more schoolbags lining in my garage waiting to be fetched after... God knows where they go after school before they are fetched by their parents, mainly, no more invasion of my house (I suspected this happened because we leave 6.30am and return 5.30pm), I'm one of those parents who always think the worst.

These are some of the reasons I was happy high school days were over! I was hoping that it's going to be plain sailing, all my sons are now big men, no more worries.

Knowing from experience how some youngsters behave during the day at campus (loitering, staying at cafeteria and not attending or bunking classes etc), mind you I'm a student too!, now I have a bigger worry. At High school if a child is late for 10min the school sends an sms to notify you, if he has a tendency of not doing homework, you receive correspondence from school to notify you. Now no feedback from school, NOTHING, all I do is to hope that my son continues to have the good discipline he had at high school. Hoping does not make it easy for me as I'm always thinking the worst, now I act like a policewoman, checking his backpack (I don't know for what).

The security of knowing that I have eyes and ears(teachers) over him whilst I'm not there is now gone. At tertiary he just HAS to have self discipline, SELF DISCIPLINE is just all I can preach when we have our small and casual talks, I also don't want him to feel that I don't trust him cause I do, its just that these things do happen and they happen when least expected.

Everyday I leave in the morning I pray God to watch over all my kids and make them conscious and understand how hard we are working so that they can be good citizens.

I wish I could hear what other parents feel about this change.

Happy parenting!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment