Saturday, May 7, 2011

It is wise to seek help when you need it.

2009/10 I was not studying, I took a well deserved break from the books. During this time I know without being told that I was the perfect wife and mother. Everyday I will come from work, clean the house, cook and even help the kids with their projects. I think helping them with projects is what inspired me to go back to studying. During weekends I would beg the kids to go out with me, to movies or for shopping. They would constantly tell me that they were busy with their school work or had to go out with friends/girlfriends.

2011 I'm back to studying and now I feel like I'm failing my husband and kids. My husband is one of those people who if a house has not been cleaned for even one day, he becomes irritated. From Feb when my classes started, having registered for 5 subjects, I knew I've made a blundder. I was overwhelmed by the work and not coping. I was attending school 4 days a week. This meant no cleaning or cooking for those 4 days. I knew that I needed help or change something in my schedule. I decided to drop 2 subjects but still I was'nt giving my family the attention they are used to get from me.

I had a meeting with the whole family and we discussed the situation. We all agreed that during the week I will be assisted with cooking and cleaning. The boys and my husband will take turns to cook when I'm not there and I will cook on all other days. We were all to do spring cleaning on Saturdays. This arrangement happened smoothly in March, but by the end of April, I was back to being the 'Cinderella' of the house. This time I was just nasty to all of them because I was not getting any help from them. They all cited being busy with their school work as if I don't have any.

As you know its difficult to be master of all, the more I get work at school and got some changes career wise things became worse at my house. Dishes piled waiting for me to do them, the washing  piled waiting for me to put in the machine, this is when my husband said me and the kids we must come up with a strategy, he is not happy with how the house is, not that he gave extra help with chores. While he was in Kenya, me and the boys decided that we need an extra hand to help us in the house. This means someone that will have to be paid. Can we afford that? The boys came with an idea of cutting their pocket and spending money so that we can be able to afford this extra expense.  I still have to see if this cutting will work for them.

My husband also agreed with our suggestion and now I'm waiting for the lady to come for an interview then we will take it from there. For my sanity, my husband's peace of mind and my children's .....?? I hope this arrangement will work for ALL of us!!

This is three stories, I'm not writing for the next 3 weeks!! LOL.
ake it easy with your Moms please guys and gal!! Happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. I have not yet met your boys sisi, but i think they are good boys judjing from the conversation you had with them and the strategy you come up with. Good luck with an new assistant. I wish she can help you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divide yourself into 3 Sis Dora's (1 for work, tech, home) and everything will work out for the best:)

    ReplyDelete