Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The elephant in the room.

I come across a lot of people that have an effect of 'being elephants in the room' in most of my circles which is school, church, work, social events etc. I don't know whether I should include home in my list, the reason is that in my culture my husband has a right to be the elephant in the room in this case our home, but that does not mean I don't give him tough time simply because times have changed.

Being an elephant in the room does nobody an advantage whether its you who assumes the role of being an elephant or your elephant status is imposed on others. When you are an elephant in a room others will reserve their inputs and will not share their thoughts which could have been helpful in the task on hand. On the other hand, you as an elephant you will miss the opportunity of gaining fresh ideas from others. We are supposed to learn from our fellow human being.

'The elephant in the room' tends to create a very stiff and boring environment. Take an example at church, if your Priest has an effect of being the elephant in the room, congegants will not enjoy themselves in church and the youth will feel trapped. Congregants especially the youth need to feel that the church accept them for who they are 'the youngster', while they still need to adhere to church principles.

At work, a person who is 'the elephant in the room', whether its the boss, supervisor or an ordinary colleague, tend to create an unproductive environment. People will reserve their brilliant ideas because the elephant in the room will crush them down, they will also not be creative and innovative because the elephant might not support their initiatives.

If you asked me, we all need to be carefull not to be 'the elephant in the room', its not good for any person. I also think that there are times when I assume the status of being 'the elephant in the room' but in most cases I'm surrounded with people I trust that they have the ability to put me in my rightfull place, because that will help all of us to be a productive team and attain our goals, whether its at my Church, at Work or at my Savings Club.  

Lets be inspired by others and embrace them and their adeas.

God Bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. So true. we find them 'throwing their excessive weight around' in all walks of life. The trick is to cultivate a means of dealing with them effectively - thereby ensuring one's creativity, innovation and self-esteem stays intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people like that tend to have a very low self-esteem and in-turn, produce a very negative energy around themselves.

    ReplyDelete