Saturday, August 6, 2011

Goodbyes are never easy

My former boss has taken a post in another province. We have worked together for the past six years, which is a long time and we have developed a very close bond which extended to our families.

Another colleague, boss to another group, left before him and his people decided to have a breakfast with him to say good bye. My department was not informed or invited, when we heard about the breakfast, we decided to ask to join them as we felt we also needed to say goodbye to him. We contributed some cash and they decided that people present must take a group photo, frame it and present it to him as a gift. This was a nice gesture and valuable gift.

A month down the line my boss permanently took up his post, and I felt that after working with him for so long I need to organise a proper farewell for him. I discussed with my group and we agreed on how it should be. I informed the other group about our plans, which was to invite all communicators including them, and that we all need to contribute towards a gift.

Iyho! the other group was so annoyed with me, asking why I'm asking them to contribute so much for my boss when theirs only got a framed photo? Mind you, there is not so much difference in contribution, except that more people will attend which meant a significant amount for a gift. After discussions with the Head of us all, we decided to invite both former bosses and have them share the gift.

I wish people could understand that it is not the size of a gift that matters, for me it is the thought that counts. People that attended were really appreciated by the guests of honour, they did not even mind that some were there without gifts. They appreciated everybody's presence at the function.

Some people tend to like making a big issue out of nothing, instead of learning the good things from others and say that 'next time I'll copy that good thing and do it better', instead they look for a fault where there is none.

The farewell went very well, we had good laughs going down memory lane. People said their proper goodbyes and well wishes.

I hope my next boss will have a good heart, sense of humour and above all, fairness to all his/her subordinates just like the boss I've lost!!

 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really sad. In my opinion,the only reason those people felt it unfair was because they were jealous they hadnt thought of your idea first and thought maybe it would make them look bad. God bless you for organising your boss a great farewell!

    ReplyDelete