Monday, February 14, 2011

Career pathing

I have seen in my place of employment a number of people with good qualifications, but doing work that has nothing to do with their qualifications. I know when job advertisements are placed in media for operational members, the SAPS requirements is Std 10 i.e Grade 12. Mostly, people with tertiary qualifications apply and they are enlisted, undergo training and then come to work at different police stations.

What then happens is that a person with a National Diploma in Public Relations or Human Resource Management will work in the patrol van even after he/she is finished with two year probation period. This, I take as a waste of talent and skills. After training and probation people should be placed according to their skills and qualifications. I hope in future this will be rectified as there is a component called Career Management, they just need to intensify their functioning.

1 comment:

  1. I think its unfair for people with qualifications to be placed in positions that they are more than qualified for. Its a real waste of talent and skills, money too!

    ReplyDelete