Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I AM

I am Theodora Mngconkola, born in Port Elizabeth. I studied in Port Elizabeth, during 1986 when unrests erupted, my parents moved me to the Ciskei where I matriculated. I am an only child married to a family of 12 children who all have not less than four children each. After passing matric I joined the South African Police Service in 1985 which means I am 26 years in the Service. I am a mother of five boys, two are on their own, three still at home, of the three, two are at tertiary and the last born is doing matric this year. I am looking forward to my last born child finishing his matric because that means I am near retirement.

I am a Lieutenant Colonel in the SAPS, acting as Section Head for Community Relations. I am working harder so that I can be appointed at this position when it is advertised. Out of the 26 years in the Service, for 11 years I mostly did administration work. this is now my 15th year doing Communication. In all these years at Communication I have done Media Liaison, writing speeches for the Provincial Commissioner, doing exhibitions and organising events. According to my job description I am supposed to be doing only Community projects and campaigns, but I also do all Provincial events wherethere they are for Operational or Support Components.

When I retire in five years time I am going to still work just to keep myself busy. When I finish BTech I hope  by then I will know what I would really like to do when I retire. I am definitely not going to be a grandmother who will stay at home looking after grandchildren, I am going to give back to my community all the knowledge and experience I have goined from being a Policewoman and from the academin qualifications I have obtained at CPUT.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You luck you had survived the unrest during those dark days of aparthied. Its very ironically to ready your comment. My mom and dad were also blessed with five boys. I think its well written, but i do think you have gone beyond two hundrend words were request. check it next.

    All the best for your future endevours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your perserverance and will to achieve. This is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know guys, I tend to write a lot!!
    THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS

    ReplyDelete