Monday, February 28, 2011

My life in SAPS in less than 200 words.

When I joined SAPS, I was 25yrs old, having given up finding decent work without tertiary education, then a friend told me SAPS was looking for females to join the ranks. I did not even knew where the police station was, I did not even know a person who was a policeman. Out of 14 shortlisted candidates, I was the only one from my area to be successful. The best part for me in joining SAPS is that it is where I met my husband, my 1st time to see and talk to him was 8th March 1985 in Pretoria. We got married in 1987 then the rest is history.
My biggest experience working in SAPS for so long is that I have been the VICTIM(I think so) of all the changes it has gone through. In 1985, because I am black lots of privileges were not for me, worse for being a woman had its own disadvantages (think being randomly called to pass urine so it can be tested for pregnancy). Then in 1995 we were amalgamated with TBVC states, then because you're not from the Transkei or wherever, promotions pass you(perception-you are a product of RSA). Then now the comrades took over, hey, now I'm not correctly politically connected, so here I am still studying wanting to prove myself. Don't get me wrong I LOVE being a policewoman!!

2 comments:

  1. In reading this article, it shows that you are truly loyal to the police force. Lets hope they appreciate all your efforts and maybe one day you'll run that place. Well written Mam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps! two years late you were married it clear shows that both of you were for each other.I agree with you, when you say the rest was history indeed. They should promote unoppose to the office of Nathi Mthethwa or General Bheki Cele.hahaha

    ReplyDelete